What’s She Doing Now?

Written by Kay on . Posted in Short Story

Trackback from your site.

Comments (6)

• Coco Wendland

Kay,
    Technology and I are only acquaintances, not really good friends, but I recently decided to purchase a Kindle. As I’m shopping for something to download and read I stumble across your book “Silent Tears” and purchase it; of course once I started I could hardly put it down. As I finish the book and read your Autobiography what do I discover…..that you were a CASA!!! I was thrilled to know that the author of such a wonderful memoir shared my passion; I have been a CASA in South Texas for over 11 years. I just wanted you to know how inspired I am by your story to keep advocating for children!
    Coco Wendland

• Alison Williams

I have been reading “Silent Tears” for the past few days and I feel myself becoming angry when I get to parts in the book about the mistreatment of the children. Honestly, I do not think I would have been able to work with the ayis who were hurting them. There would be other people getting hurt in that room, and it wouldn’t be the kids! I understand that you had to keep the peace in order to continue helping and working with the children, but I would have had a huge problem with seeing children being abused. I understand cultures are different, but it really comes down to common sense and humanity. Those women know it is wrong to abuse children, especially children with special needs. I teach children who are blind/visually-impaired, and I advocate for them and teach them to stand up for themselves. I feel extremely sorry for these children in the book and think it’s disgusting how they’re treated. I hope things have changed in the orphanage for the better!

• Kay Bratt

Alison,

Yes, I can understand your anger while reading the book. And sometimes it was all I could do to hold back. I remember one incident when my fellow volunteer had to put a hand on my arm to retrain me. She knew, as well as I knew, one wrong step and we’d all get thrown out and not be able to help any of the children. But it was hard. Very hard.

Thank you for your support for the book and your compassion for the kids.–K

• Shala Gudino

Dear Kay,
    I came upon your book after trying to find about more information about children adopted from China. I am a past CASA and now a hospice volunteer. I had a case last year of a mother who had adopted 3 children from China and passed away in June of Breast Cancer. She left behind a husband and 3 little girls, ages 3, 7 and 9. The younger two have disabilities, one with one leg shorter than the other, and the “baby” has a serious heart condition. She had heart surgery immediately after coming from China, but needs another soon. I have stayed with this family, becoming a “grandmother” figure to these lovely children. Losing Mom a second time has been traumatic at times. The father is a fantastic man who is dedicated to providing a good home to the girls. Your book has provided some clues to behavior that was puzzling to me. Seeing pictures of the girls prior to adoption makes me sure they were probably in the same type of care. Also, when the middle child was adopted 6 years ago, it sounds like it was from the orphanage you wrote about. Of course I can’t be sure. I want to thank you for this wonderful look at a land so different from our own. I wanted to quit my job, sell my home and move to China immediately. Hopefully I can help in some small way to make a difference. Thank you again for all you did and continue to do,

• Lydia Hill

I stumbled upon your book while browsing books available to dowload on my kindle. I am so glad I did. I can not put Silent Tears down! I cry when I read those stories of abuse and am so angered about how those children were treated. I am not sure I would have been able to keep my composure like you did. Kudos to you! For years I have wanted to adopt a girl from China but my husband didn’t feel the same. I will be looking at the rest of your site and your facebook to see if there are opportunities for me to help.
    Lydia Hill

• Lori White

I just finished reading “Silent Tears”. I was also saddened and angered to hear how the children were treated. I still look at one picture I have of my daughter in the orphanage and wonder why her ankles are tied to a chair with her legs apart. I wonder if the conditions at her orphanage were similar to the orphanage where you volunteered. I admire all you have done and wish I could help. I am not sure that we are able to adopt asecond child, although I wish I coyld, but petfhaps I could sponsor a child or send supplies. Thank you for your book and your work.